Do you want your manuscript to captivate your audience from the first to the last word?
I’m Lorna Lee, Ph.D., an author, editor, and the person who will help your manuscript sparkle, attracting the kind of attention it deserves.
Why choose me as your next editor?
- Like you, I’m an author too, so I’m familiar with what you’ve gone through to get to this point, with what you’re facing now and with the challenges ahead of you.
- I’m certified in editing, and I have access to multiple editing resources.
- You won’t have to worry about grammar gremlins, punctuation problems, or any of those many manuscript mishaps that distract readers from your message because I will notice and fix those things for you.
- Your deadlines are important, so I take them seriously.
- Having someone else read and suggest changes to your hard work is often nerve-wracking and challenging. When you work with me, you work with someone who respects your voice, offers constructive, gentle suggestions, and keeps our relationship professional but lighthearted.
- You will be able to contact me in the way you feel most comfortable: email, telephone, and (if necessary) FaceTime or Skype. And I respond promptly (within 24 hours, often less).
What qualifies me to edit your masterpiece?
- I have authored two books and worked with two editors for each book. So I have experience on both sides of this partnership.
- I am trained in editing any manuscript, but I prefer editing fiction, personal essays, and business communication.
- I have published several articles in my local newspaper.
- I am a contributing writer for a monthly magazine.
- Two of my short stories have won critical acclaim in national contests.
- I teach a workshop on how to write creative nonfiction.
What are my services and prices?
- Big-Picture or Structural Editing (Is your manuscript structured properly so that everything makes sense?) $0.01 per word* which includes one read-through and detailed feedback (written and phone) on what works and what may need reworking to make your manuscript more effective in terms of theme, story structure, plot, pacing, and/or character arc.
- Stylistic Editing (Are you delivering your message in the most clear and effective manner possible?) $0.01 per word* which includes one read-through finding and offering alternatives to confusing sentences, overused or easily misunderstood words, jargon, inconsistencies in voice or POV, lack of variation in sentence length or structure, and awkward transitions between paragraphs or chapters.
- Copyediting/Proofreading (Is your manuscript free of inconsistencies, factual errors, typos, spelling, and punctuation errors?) $0.01 per word* which includes one read-through finding and correcting errors in basic grammar, punctuation, typos, and word usage. This editing pass also picks up any small errors involving dates, places, names, historical facts, or special details unique to your manuscript that, if not caught, would be jarring to the reader. Example: the main character’s name changes spelling half-way through the book from Jaimee to Jaime.
- Detailed beta read with suggested feedback. $50 for < 100 pages / $75 for 100-199 pages / $100 for 200-249 pages / $125 for 250-299 pages / $150 for 300-349 pages and so on. This includes one read-through with detailed written feedback on both the content and technical aspects of the manuscript.
- Formatting (Is your manuscript ready share?) $50 per hour.
- Uploading (Do you want your document uploaded to a particular site?)$50 per hour.
If you are curious about what others charge, click here for a nice summary of the industry standard.
*Word count charges are based initially on the original manuscript. If the final, edited manuscript is over 2,000 words longer, the author’s final bill will be adjusted to reflect the final manuscript’s word count.
Special Editing Package
This package includes:
- 1st read-through for content/story structure/plot/character arc/theme/pacing
- 2nd read-through for stylistic edit and copyedit (detailed edit for grammar, punctuation, typos, sentence structure, word usage, consistency of style, voice)
- 3rd read-through for flow and any residual errors not found in—or created by—the deep editing process
The cost of this comprehensive package is only $0.02 per word.
A FREE Sample Edit? Tell me more!
Send me the first ten (10) double-spaced pages of your manuscript in a Microsoft Word document (or Word-compatible document), and I will edit it for FREE!
After you get my edits and comments back, you can decide if you would like to work with me and we can discuss the details of what is needed and work out a contract.
Comments from my Clients
“I would like to thank my amazing editor, Lorna. Without you, Origin wouldn’t be half as amazing as it is now. You came to grips with the complicated lives and personalities of my characters, and our partnership grew ever stronger through that. I can’t wait to work with you through the remains of this series and to see where this world takes us.”
Lauren Dowding, author of Origin: The Mortal King (Book 1)
“I’ve worked with professionals, including an editor who worked at Simon & Schuster and have to say that Lorna’s work is every bit as good. Her editing skills
are superb as is her level of understanding of the components of writing a compelling story. I’m looking forward to working with her again
and highly recommended her.”
— Paulette Mahurin, best-selling author of four novels. (Her most recent book, The Seven Year Dress, has been on Amazon’s Top 100 Best Seller List for many months.)
“Lorna responded to one of my calls for beta readers for a work in progress two years ago. Her findings and comments at the time were way beyond the call of duty for such a task, giving me a detailed critique of my writing style, characterisation and pointing out even the smallest inconsistencies and errors.
It is rare to find such diligence and commitment at this stage of the publishing process, which is why I have asked Lorna to help me with every new novel since.
I was not surprised to find that she was enrolled in an editing course by then. She seems to have a natural talent for this. Lorna turned around each one of my books in a short space of time and has contributed immensely to their success through both general and very specific observations that helped me improve the book stylistically, grammatically and factually, with attention to detail, consistency and with sensitivity to the differences between British and American English. I cannot recommend her highly enough.”
— Christoph Fischer, best-selling author of twelve novels.
“Lorna has a keen eye and wonderful customer service. I would trust her to look at any of my manuscripts.”
— Christine Keleny, author of seven novels.
“After three frustrating rewrites of a piece, a writer friend recommended Lorna. She made quick work of editing the flab and perpetual mistakes I make. I am not a computer savvy person, but the process she uses was well within my scope of expertise. In no time, she had helped me make, ‘a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.’ Her humor made the whole experience easier than I anticipated. Tips she gave me will be valuable in future work. I won’t hesitate to work with her again and recommend her to writer friends.”
— Susan, an adult student of one of my writing workshops.
Are you ready to take your manuscript to the next level?
Congratulations! Click here to schedule your FREE sample edit!
“You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what’s burning inside you, and we edit to let the fire show through the smoke.”
– Arthur Plotnik, American author, and editor